Personal Support Worker
Monday, May 6th, 2019
The Personal Support Worker is responsible for providing personal care and assistance in activities of daily living for the residents as requested by the Charge Nurse. Is responsible for the cleaning of common areas (and other assigned areas) of the Residence and for personal resident laundry as requested.
- Understands and adheres to the Residence’s policies, procedures, practices and philosophies. Works in accordance with all regulatory compliance agencies, Ontario Retirement Homes Act 2010 and O. Reg 166/11. Ensures compliance with Ontario Residential Communities Association, Occupational Health and Safety Act and other pertinent legislated regulations/ standards.
- Collaborates with other departmental personnel to ensure continuity of care.
- Maintains a safe and clean environment for residents.
- Deals tactfully and courteously with residents, residents’ families and visitors and reports all issues to the Charge Nurse or the Resident Wellness Manager.
- Notifies the Charge Nurse or the Resident Wellness Manager of any staff/resident incidents and accidents and completes documentation as required.
- Is knowledgeable on Resident Bill of Rights and works to respect and promote it
- Distributes meal trays to residents in their rooms as required.
- Answers all resident calls promptly as requested by the Charge Nurse.
- Assists with all aspects of residents’ daily living.
- Ensures that personal grooming is professional and uniform is clean, tidy and appropriate.
- Carries out all duties in a safe manner and adheres to proper lift/transfer procedures at all times.
- Participates in fire and evacuation drills and is knowledgeable of fire procedures.
- Reports to Charge Nurse on all pertinent issues regarding residents and their care and documents on the resident record.
- Performs a variety of housekeeping duties to ensure that the residence is maintained in a safe, clean, and sanitary condition.
- Operates automatic washing machines/dryers including folding, ironing, hanging and distribution of laundry.
- Cleans, mops and polishes floors as well as dusting furniture in an orderly fashion.
- Ensures that the common area washrooms are cleaned and disinfected.
- Collects and disposes of garbage in common areas as required.
- Is responsible for cleaning of all common areas on a nightly basis, including completion of a nightly cleaning checklist.
- Participates in the Residence wide Infection Control Program and interdisciplinary VIP Quality Program
- Performs other related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCY CRITERIA
- Successful completion of recognized Health Care Aide or Personal Support Worker program.
- Experience working with seniors and knowledge of the aging process.
- The ability to understand and follow-out orders so as to perform duties effectively, and communicate any pertinent issues regarding residents and their care.
- Must have respect, understanding and empathy for the elderly and people with disabilities.
- The ability to work accurately and quickly.
- Previous experience in cleaning responsibilities an asset.
- Must successfully complete an authorized Screening for Vulnerable Persons and a successful Criminal Reference Check and disclose any convictions, charges restraining orders, probation orders and or warrants during the course of your employment that affect in any way your clear Criminal Reference Check and/or Vulnerable Persons Screening
The Personal Support Worker reports directly to the Resident Wellness Manager, and takes direction on a daily basis from the RPN/Charge Nurse.
- Must be able to set priorities and meet deadlines as workload may fluctuate as admissions, resident needs and discharges occur.
- Must be able to concentrate in an environment of interruption and change.
- Strength requirements:
- Lifting – up to 30 lbs. for a variety of tasks is required occasionally
- Pushing / pulling force of up to 15 lbs. may be required for portering patients
- Bilateral push force of up to 55 lbs required to close tub door
- Mobility and Posture requirements:
- Standing and walking are required to complete the majority of essential duties.
- Static and dynamic cervical flexion and rotation are required when performing the majority of resident care tasks.
- Lumbar flexion/stooping and rotation are required while performing resident spas and cleaning.
- Horizontal and vertical shoulder reaching are required for the majority of resident care tasks.
- The wrists are required to have functional bilateral mobility in all planes.
- Supination and pronation of the elbow are required for the majority of essential duties.
- Several types of gripping actions using both hands are utilized throughout the workday on a frequent to constant basis.
Refer to Physical Demands Analysis document completed for specific site.
RESPONSIBILITIES TO HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Is aware of employees’ responsibilities and follows all health and safety policies and procedures as set out in departmental manuals.
- Works safely to reduce the risk of injury to self, co-workers and residents.
- Is alert to and promptly reports all actual or potentially hazardous situations to immediate supervisor. Does not operate or use faulty equipment.
- Wears personal protective equipment (or clothing) as required by task, MSDS or Residence policy.
- Promptly reports personal injury to supervisor and seeks first aid as needed.
- Participates in fire safety demonstrations and fire drills, and knows the Residence’s fire and disaster plan.